Sunday, June 20, 2010

Because I've waited to share this story far too long.

I've wanted to write this post for so very long, practically a year since I've been glowing with pride and telling the world about yet another wonderful thing about this guy:

(on the pier in Frankfort on our wedding anniversary...8.9.09)

And what better day than Father's Day? So here's the dish on all things wonderful about Paige's daddy, Mr. Parrott.

I don't know if you've noticed through pictures, or the stories shared since we started this blog, but a major transformation has occurred in the Parrott household. Since early 2009, Matt has lost an entire person's worth of weight. Actually, he lost it in far less than a year. No joke. No gimmicks. All diet and exercise. He started out huffing through one mile, and one year later was running the biggest 25K in the country. That's 15.5 miles, folks! He'll likely run a marathon, if he decides it's not "too boring", but right now he is training for his first triathlon, which will occur at the end of the summer (it won't surprise me if he does one sooner). He has been such an inspiration to me, motivating me to do things I never thought I could ever do (like run more than a block). I've finally been losing weight too, and we continue to [usually] make healthy choices as a family (not gonna lie, the word "pizza!" is heard from Paige's lips at least daily).

Matty has done things that most men don't always consider. When Paige was 6 weeks old and the staffing company he worked for went defunct, Matt kept his youth job at church, but took on the most important job of all: staying at home with our daughter so we would not have to send her to daycare. The two of them have "systems" that are special to them and make me smile when I get to witness them (example: today the three of us we went to Lowe's and Paige fought me when I tried to put her in the cart. "Not at Lowe's", said Matt, "only at Lowe's, Paige helps push the cart", as Paige swiftly assumed her position behind the cart, dutifully pushing from the back as Matt held on to one side of the cart handle and steered).



I know that more dads than ever are staying at home part or full time, but the stigma still remains...why? I mean, Paige is always with one or both of her parents every day. She will likely grow to have a wonderful relationship with her father that many kids will never know is possible. 

Matty is my support, my stronghold, and my sanity. He is our daughter's protector, teacher, and coach. I just cannot stop being amazed by him. God has blessed Paige and I with so much in our husband and daddy.



Happy Father's Day to all of you, but especially to my own dad, my dad-in-law, and of course, my Matty.

1 comment:

  1. Awww...so sweet. I love that you call him Matty. :) And because he's a 'stay-at-home' dad, I get to see Paige WEEKLY!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete